Friday, February 14, 2014

Three Things to Think About with PBL

Just this week, I was fortunate to attend METC (Missouri's Educational Tech Conference).  It is always so inspiring to learn from other professionals and to see what amazing things that other teachers are doing with their students.  I have such a passion for Project Based Learning, and I was excited to attend a session presented by Josh Stumpenhorst, a middle school Social Studies teacher.  Josh shattered some of my PBL habits, which made me think of some changes that I might make with my PBL project that I do with my level 2 students.  Here are three of my take-aways:

1. Groups - I have typically created my groups based on varying ability, randomness or student choice.  But, what if I created groups by similar abilities?  Put all the kids who "get it" together, and put all the kids who struggle to get it together.  With this grouping, the "get it" kids can take it an go, and in a big way.  The "don't-get-it" kids are all together so that I can spend more time with them to help re-teach and motivate.

2. Choice -  What if I gave them a "menu" of projects that they could choose from.  This would require lots more work on my part, but different students have different strengths and in the end wouldn't I get more impressive projects if the kids got to create in a way that they like to create?

3. Publish - Make the world their audience.  Have them publish to YouTube.  Put their videos on my YouTube channel.  "Likes" are like badges, and are a meaningful feedback for these guys.  We need to quit making the Internet this "bad" place and get examples of good student work out there.

At this conference, I presented my own PBL.  Here is a link to my project outline (almost entirely in French): French 2 Lycée PBL

Would you like to watch my presentation?
Live-Stream of my presentation: April Burton - Planning for PBL


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your PBL project! I was at your session at METC, and I just loved it. I have since read your whole blog and even flipped my classes (partially). Next up, that awesome PBL unit. I live locally, do you ever have teachers come and observe you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melanie, for the kind words. Congrats on your "flip". I think you will see that it opens up your class to so many more possibilities. Good luck with your PBL. It takes some planning, but it is well worth it to see kids so excited about what they create. Sure, I have people come observe. In the past, I have participated in the Flip Open House, but if you'd like to come visit, we can work out a time. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete