Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rave Review

I don't know if all teachers are like this, but test review days stress me out.  Because my unit exams cover reading, writing, listening, as well as cloze passages, I feel like I have to really "get it right" during test reviews in order to cover everything. And, I feel like students are always less engaged on these days because I am doing so much talking.

 Before Spring Break we were taking our unit test, and due to losing so much class time to snow days, I felt like my students weren't as prepared as they could be for our test. In order to cover a lot of missed practice and to keep students engaged.  I combined two of my favorite activities that I have blogged about before.  I created a Review Stations Day AND I combined it with my Superlative/Comparative practice (the "Food, Fun and Foolishness" that I posted about previously).

For this review, I created seven stations (because I have seven groups of four in each of my level 2 classes), and the students had 6 minutes in each class.  I had the stations set up before they came in.  It looked so fun!


Here is how I broke down the stations:

Listening Review:  Using a CD player, students listened to a short listening passage from the textbook and answered questions.  The questions were a. or b. and they scored their answers on a bubblesheet and scanned it with a computer that I had set up to scan on Mastery Connect.  Some students used their "BubbleSheet" app.  This way students knew right away how many they got correct. I encouraged them to stop the recording and talk about what they heard.  The conversations were awesome.

Reading Review:  I am working with my students to prepare them for AP style reading assessment.  For this station, students read a passage then answered six questions that were modeled after the AP type reading questions.  Again, they bubbled their answers from the six multiple-choice questions onto a bubblesheet and scanned on a different computer or used their app, in order to immediately see their results. Again, it was great to hear them talking about the passages and pointing out sentences that supported their opinions to why a certain question was a certain answer.

Writing Practice:  This was my favorite!!  Our grammar topic for this unit is passé composé v. imparfait.  For this station, I had an Ipad cued up and students watched a hilarious video that a dad had taken of students slipping on ice.  (This video went viral, you may have seen it.)  Then, they filled out a chart to write down as much as they could about the video in either the passé composé or the imparfait.  The chart had two columns (one for each tense) and reviewed with them the circumstances when each tense would be used, and gave them space to write sentences.


Vocabulary Practice:  I call this the Vocab-Match game, and we play it each chapter.  I gave students puzzle pieces with vocab in either French or English on each of the four sides of a rectangle.  The task is to match the French word with the English word to complete the puzzle.  For the stations, I had the pieces already cut out, they had to match them and glue them.

Superlative/Comparative Practice:  Sort of like a "Word Wall", I had a bunch of little words in boxes. The students had to use the words available to create superlative or comparative sentences and glue them down on paper.  They had fun with it because they could create silly sentences like "Mme B is smarter than a cat", but it really helped them with sentence word order.

Superlative Practice:  (This is taken from my previous blog) I had student bring in snacks: crackers, chips, cookies, etc)  On a paper, they had to write superlative sentences about the snacks that were there.  I started them with the formula for a superlative sentence, then they had to write as many as they could.

Comparative Practice:  This was exactly like the Superlative Practice however, it was with drinks. I had them bring in lots of drinks: different types of soda, milk, fruit punch, etc.  Again, I started them with the formula and had them write as many comparative sentences as they could.

The goal at each station is to get as many things correctly completed as possible.  I did take an in-class grade for this.  In order to grade them, I added up the number of correct items for each group.  I averaged the class.  Each group got a 5-point grade based on the average.  Groups that got more than the average got more than 5 points, groups that got less than the average got less than 5 points.

The kids loved this day.  It kept them moving and they really enjoyed themselves.  What I always love are the meaningful conversations that take place during cooperative learning activities.  It really helped them to feel more confidant with what I would be assessing them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment