Thursday, February 5, 2015

Tense Times with Past Tenses

One of the things that my level 2 students (and I) struggle with second semester is the usage rules for the two past tenses.  I have struggled for the best way to assess students' understanding.  For the past several years, I have attempted the same type of project, but I have been going about it all wrong.  I have never been happy with each step of this project, and the end result was never exactly what I wanted my students to show.  Finally, this year, I think I have it.

Let's take a stroll
This is a multi-step project, where students complete a different component as we learn new things.  Next week, we will start with part one.  Since we are learning vocabulary for childhood memories, we will start with our own stroll down memory lane.  Students will construct a type of "foldable" where the middle will illustrate the "lane" and the sides to the right and left will illustrate the memories.  The left side will list things that they did often at different stages of their childhood, while the right will illustrate certain memories of "one time" events at those same stages.

I created a Smart Notebook file to help instruct them for our "foldable". Here it is as a .pdf

This is how we will introduce our learning unit which focuses on childhood memories with the grammar point of past tense versus imperfect tense.  Since we are starting, we will only list activities in the infinitive form on our Memory Road.  Later, we will look at how to conjugate each of these actions, which will be part of the lesson on past tense v. imperfect tense.

Picture This
Since we will eventually be talking about our memories using VoiceThread, the students' next task will be to find pictures of themselves or that represent those memories.  Using their Google Drive, they will upload electronic versions of their images, which we will use later.

Stay tuned as we move down this "road".  I will let you know where it takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment