Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Inspiration and Engagement

Last week I attended our area's Education Technology conference, METC.  I was so fortunate that my district allowed me attend for both days because I was a presentor at the conference.  I presented on the "How To's" of flipping a class.  It was such a great experience.  I love being around so many inspiring educators that have great ideas for getting students engaged.  One of the presentor's that I saw talked about an interactive activity that teachers in his district did with elementary students.  It is a sort of "Where in the world is..." type activity.  Students skyped with another classroom somewhere in the country, and asked questions to pin point their exact location.  He showed a video of this class in time-lapse.  It was so fun to watch as students were circled around IPads and asking questions.

This got me to thinking about my own students.  How fun would it be for us to pose questions to another class somewhere, here in the US, or elsewhere.  What a great use of language skills to inquire and respond.  I haven't nailed down how I can impliment this idea, as of yet.  But, I will soon be searching for someone, somewhere, who would participate in this activity for me.  Who knows, maybe we could even pair up with another French class,  here in St. Charles, MO.

In a sort of related, but not related activity, I have found a group to partner with my French 1 students in order to help us with our French food chapter.  We started our activity today.  Using Edmodo (my most favorite of teacher sites), my students are posting statements about their favorite foods.  Our French partners, in Bretagne, France, will also post about their favorite foods.  Eventually, next week, we will create a slide show of our typical breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks.  I gave the assignment for my students to start taking pictures with their phones or cameras.  It has created some fun discussions, as we are thinking about what the French kids will be saying about what we eat.

Technology makes all of this happen. I love that so quickly students can post a message for other kids who are in a completely different continent.  I love that we can gather pictures of what we eat in such an effortless way.  And, I love how excited they are to meet their new friends.  I will keep you posted on our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment