Wednesday, December 5, 2012

PBL Update

Today was day 5 of our PBL unit.  Today's main objective was for each group to create a flipped video lesson on one of the grammar concepts in the unit.  The concept that I chose was the past tense with object pronouns.  Prior to coming in to class, students were supposed to have researched, either with the textbook or the internet, the rules on the concept.  They were supposed to come in with Cornell Style notes completed on the topic.  I was so impressed because 100% of my students came in with the notes completed! (Huge Victory!!)  We spent the first 5 minutes of class taking a Notes Quiz in the same style that we do when a video lesson is due.  After they took the quiz, we discussed the answers.  That way, they could ask questions or I could clarify the grammar rules before they started on their lesson.  After that, they were on their way to video amazingness.  I was so impressed with what they created.  Some students used an empty classroom next door to project a Power Point, and taught through the slides.  Some groups did voice overs using SMART notebook software.  Some students taught using the white board, and some students used the small personal white boards and taught with those.  I haven't had a chance to watch all of them, and some groups still need to finish up tomorrow, but I was impressed with the creativity.  And, the conversations that I overheard were great.  To hear students engrossed in grammar rules is awesome.

On another note, our PD this year is to create a "BA" Unit that incorporates all of the Cs of Common Core.  I am planning on using my PBL for my unit.  While in our PD today, after school, I got the brilliant idea to submit my unit through a Wiki.  I have never created one before, but I have always wanted to do so.  I will continue to update it throughout the year.  I'll post that link when the time is right.

Tomorrow, French 1 has their last video lesson on the semester due.  Right now as I am blogging, they are hopefully watching the video. (I just checked Google Analytics and there was only 1 person on my site.)  I am hoping for an 85% average on this one.  (That is a little high...these kiddos aren't as motivated as my level 2 kiddos.)  I tweeted out a reminder, so we will see.  Tomorrow, we are going to play a review game using Todaysmeet.com.  I will let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment