Friday, December 7, 2012

Thank Heaven for the Cloud

The filming is underway for our video project.  Since students are working in groups, they are all in different places of our "School Video" project.  There is such a learning curve with this project. Although I have offered the use of our FlipCams, many students are getting footage of our building with the Smart Phones.  I love that!  However, there has been the issue of how to get the video from the phone to the computer.  The best solution to the problem is one of my all time favorite apps: Dropbox.  The steps are simple, the students need to set up a Dropbox account. (I send them an invite through my account, so that I can get more space on my account.)  Then, on their phone, they download the app.  After they record their footage with their phone, they upload it to their Dropbox account.  When they are ready to put the video into the editing software (we are using Movie Maker), they download it to their computer from Dropbox.  This has worked wonderfully.  They are in groups of 4, so they tend to split up to get the footage.  It is taking them half the time to get all of the footage they need because two different people can record at the same time. I am also noticing that they are recording footage outside of the class period with their phones.  I've seen Band Concerts, Swim Meets and I know that more is to come.

They are continuing to converse with their new French friends via Edmodo.  They are asking questions and almost immediately getting answers.  They are learning so much about the French school experience...so much more than our textbook can give them.  Hats off to Edmodo!!!

In French 1, I did something different to review numbers today.  It was challenging, but it worked great.  It reminded me of how French 1 students are so much like Kindergartners.  I gave students a chart, which I got years ago from a French a book, that had numbered boxes from 1-300.   Before the lesson I had mapped out a picture made by coloring in the boxes. (It was just a smiley face).  Then, I typed up the numbers that would be colored in and cut them apart.  I gave each student at least one number, many of them had more, and they had to figure out how to say that number in French and say it to the class.  Everyone colored the numbers as they heard them.  Since most of the numbers were big numbers, it proved to be very challenging for them.  It was great listening practice, as well as practice for pronunciation.  It took about 15 minutes of class time.  There are lots of different ways to review numbers, but I think this one might be my new favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment